Pleased with the achievement, we issued the "Ben and Bawb's Blog 10 Army Challenge," wherein Americans were encouraged to buy enough firearms in 2009 to theoretically equip the world's ten largest armies. (Symbolically flipping the finger at America's anti-gun, socialist president in the process.)
Good news: America is rising to the challenge! Background checks for the first six months of 2009 numbered 7,035,286. (That's a 24% increase over 2008.) Using the latest troop strength numbers, the top five armies have about 7,380,000 troops, which is just above the number of gun sales so far. So five armies down, five more to go!
The top 10 armies have a combined total of 10,226,000 troops, which means Americans only have to purchase 2,846,000 more guns to meet the total. This should be no problem since we've already surpassed the big boys with million-man armies like China, U.S.A, and India. Now we just have to beat little pussy countries like Iran and Egypt.
Dig deep America! Keep buying those guns. Ben and Bawb's Blog will keep you posted as to how we're doing every quarter. Here's our running total so far:
- China- 2.255 million - DONE!
- U.S.A.-1.385 million - DONE!
- India- 1.325 million - DONE!
- Russia- 1.245 million - DONE!
- N. Korea- 1.170 million - GOOD JOB!
- S. Korea- 687,000 - Let's M*A*S*H 'em
- Pakistan- 650,000 - Kick 'em in the Karachi
- Iran- 545,000 - Yeah, you better run
- Turkey- 514,000 - Gobble 'em up
- Egypt- 450,000 - Send 'em crying to their mummies